Saturday, January 5, 2013

Some random thoughts on Social Media to start the New Year

It's a new year and I have learned a new word:  conversate.  Ever hear of it?  Neither have I, but it is apparently what we do now, rather than CONVERSE.  Sheesh.  Will we have any language left by the time the next generation reaches our age?  The way things look right now, I am beginning to have my doubts.

I was thinking of this over the past week as I mulled over what to write about this weekend, and I thought this would be the best time to offer my thoughts on social media and the use thereof by one and all.  First off, let me state I am using social media myself more and more all the time, mostly due to work responsibilities rather than I want to, but I do in fact find it rather helpful chasing down stories and people for interview material on the CKTB morning show, which I produce each weekday morning.  My use of Facebook and Twitter is more of a news-gathering device more than anything else, really, and that aspect of it I find quite useful.

My own postings on both are increasing as time goes by, and in fact you might have noticed I now post my weekly blog to both Facebook and Twitter each weekend.  If you want to follow me on either, I would love to add you to my circle of colleagues on both.  For Facebook, I simply use my name, Mike Saunders rather than the business name, A Web of Fine Music.  For Twitter, my handle is @finemusicman, and last time I checked I was up to about 61 followers since I started on Twitter in the fall.  The more the merrier, I always say, and while you're at it, why not add yourself as a follower of my blog right here on the site?

Now, those are the nuts and bolts of the matter.  On the subject of social media in general, I have sort of a love/hate relationship with the whole idea of social media; I have begun to worry people are spending far too much time on social media when the time could perhaps better be spent actually interacting with people on a more personal level.  How many times have you thought to yourself, rather than phone or meet someone in person, you simply just email them or send a message with either Facebook or Twitter?  Far too many times, I suspect, and the problem seems to be we can avoid people we don't want to take the time with but at least keep a civil distance from them without ignoring them entirely.  Nothing wrong with that, as we all have people in our lives we don't want to spend too much time with, but it can be taken too far so as to interact almost exclusively on either and lose the human contact entirely.

Sure, Facebook has been a boon to people finding long-lost friends and even family members and is especially helpful for helping to organize class reunions for your alma mater.  But we cannot and should not allow it to overtake our lives and be the driving force of almost all our social interactions on a daily basis.  Don't laugh; the less you interact on a personal level with people, you risk losing the ability to properly handle social situations when they actually do arise.

What can you expect when you connect with me on either Facebook or Twitter?  Well, first let me tell you what you won't find.  Foul language is one.  Nothing irks me more than to read a post by someone using expletives such as the f-bomb; remember, this is media, and that means people are (hopefully) actually reading your posts.  So for the sake not only of decorum but also good manners and sense, keep it clean.  Basically, if you wouldn't say the word or phrase in your normal conversation with your mother, for example, it doesn't belong on social media either.

The second thing you won't find in my posts are pictures that are of no use to anyone but the person who took the picture.  In other words, I don't take pictures of my lunch or any other meal of the day or the venue I happen to be in at the moment, be it public or private.  Maybe it is just me, but I remain unconvinced this sort of posting is of any social value whatsoever.  A funny picture or video or a clever saying?  Sure, that is fair game for the entertainment value alone.  But the far-too-personal posts are not for me and I shun them at all costs.

What I will post, on the occasional opportunities I do, in fact, post, are random thoughts on Twitter and Facebook and often something shared I have found of particular interest.  I don't profess to offer any great insights into the world around us, other than to say if I have an opinion on something I might just share it.  Nothing wrong with that, I believe, as public discourse is always healthy in this day and age.  I  will often post items I feel are of interest to those who read my blog on a regular basis, usually involving the performing arts or some related topic, or on music topics which hopefully will appeal to those who check out my website, www.finemusic.ca.

So, I've taken the plunge with social media in a big way over the past year and a lot of that has been due to the fact I now own an iPhone 4S, so both Facebook and Twitter are at my fingertips at all times. No need to sit on the sidelines when you can get yourself into the game, I always say.  The phone, incidentally, has more features than I will ever learn about nor make regular use of.  I almost cringed at the mere thought of acquiring one a few months back, as I did not want to be connected at all times.  But due to job requirements I felt it was in my best interests to do so, and here we are today.

Saunders with an iPhone and on social media.  The mind boggles...

Happy New Year!

January 5th, 2013.

No comments: