Saturday, October 12, 2013

Are YOU man (or woman) enough to sponsor me for Walk a Mile in HER Shoes?

I am deviating once again from my usual arts beat this weekend to write about an event coming up next Saturday that is a lot of fun, but also brings with it a very important message:  we are taking a stand on the issue of violence against women.  Yes, it is time for the 8th Annual Walk a Mile in HER Shoes at the Pen Centre, presented by TD Bank next Saturday at noon.

This has become a huge event in Niagara and with good reason.  It is fun, it catches your attention, and it raises a considerable amount of money for a very worthwhile cause.  Last year, for example, over 200 walkers helped to raise $ 81,000 in support of the work of Gillian's Place, empowering abused women in Niagara.  This year, the goal is to have 250 walkers and raise $ 100,000 for Gillian's Place.

Some background is in order here, I think.  Gillian's Place moved to the renovated Victoria School on Niagara Street several years ago from their downtown St. Catharines location when they were known as Women's Place.  The mission didn't change:  provide shelter, help and support to abused women looking to escape their own difficult situations at home and find a better life.  What changed, unfortunately, are the numbers.  Every year the larger facility is full, and that suggest more work needs to be done to educate the public on the importance of this resource in the community and the constant need for funding.

In a perfect world, Gillian's Place and similar shelters around the world would not be needed.  But the reality is, they are needed.  Very, very badly.  And that is where you - and I - come in.

So, what happens next weekend?  Men from every walk of life come together to take a stand against violence against women by donning high heels and walking a mile around the Pen Centre, all the while experiencing their own pain as they struggle to walk in heels for the better part of half an hour.  Simple, right?  Well it is, really, compared to what the women who find the need to go to Gillian's Place are experiencing.   But the benefits of the walk go beyond the time spent teetering in heels and having some fun in a public display of awkwardness.

So here's the deal.  In the past, I walked as part of a corporate team of dedicated like-minded males who  worked at CKTB/HTZ-FM/EZ-ROCK, the media sponsors of the event.  Since I am no longer employed there and still want to help out Gillian's Place, I am walking next week as a team of one, doing my part for the cause.

What that means is I have to fundraise for the walk, and that's where you come in.  I am willing to strap on the heels again if you are willing to sponsor me.  Sound fair?  You don't have to sponsor a lot if you don't want to, although if you do it would be very nice, indeed.  But any amount is appreciated and let me tell you, I will be walking even more proud next weekend knowing I am walking for you as you support this very worthwhile cause.

There are several ways to sponsor, and you can get all the information on the event by going to www.walkamileinhershoes.ca.  Every participant has their own page once they register to walk and I received mine last evening.  Here is the link to my personal page in order to pledge for the walk next weekend:

http://gilliansplace.akaraisin.com/DD59B657C1BA439E896FFB97B57BBFC9/MikeSaunders

You can pledge right there online with little or no effort at all, and it is fully secure.  I did it myself last night when I started the page.  Alternatively, go to www.walkamileinhershoes.ca and look for the sponsor a participant link.  There you can type in my name (Mike Saunders) and that will take you directly to my pledge page.  They even have a mobile app available so you can pledge on the go.  Or, if you like doing things the old-fashioned way, I have a paper pledge sheet I am taking everywhere I go this week in hopes of gathering pledges before next weekend.  Just message me or email me at music@vaxxine.com and we'll make arrangements to fill out the sponsor sheet and collect your pledge.

Remember, it doesn't have to be a lot of money.  But it means the world to us walkers and even more to Gillian's Place, so won't you do your part?  If you want to walk yourself, hey, the more the merrier!  They supply the shoes; you supply the feet and the pledges.

As for me, I am toying with making this a real event for my first solo walk next week and wearing my tux on Saturday.  That means I have to find dressy shoes to match...hmmm, what goes with a black tuxedo...well, we'll figure it out.  And if anyone has a line on where I can get a pink scarf, I'm in!  Just let me know.

Okay, did I miss anything?  Call for pledges; locate the website and my personal pledge page; call for more walkers.  Oh, you need to know where and when, right?  Everyone - whether you are walking or not - are invited to come down and have some fun.  We'll start out at Sears Court at The Pen, with registration starting at 10 am; there are special guests on stage at 12 noon and then at 12:30 we begin the walk.  Afterwards, all participants receive lunch and if needed, a massage for those sore, aching muscles you have not used since last year at this time.

So, that's my deal for you this week.  Sponsor me for the walk next weekend, and I promise to put in a good show, post pictures to Facebook after the event, and I promise not to ask you again until this time next year.  Sound good to you?  I thought so.

Gentlemen, almost time to strap up and lurch forward...are YOU joining The Men's March to End Violence Against Women?

October 12th, 2013.

No comments: